Skip to main content

2020 Election - Faith, Hope, and LOVE

This is not one of my usual blog posts, no fun story, more of an epiphany I had this morning while reading my Bible.  I don't know how many people will read it, but I felt it was worth sharing.

I've been reading through Corinthians and today I came to Chapter 13 - the love 💗 chapter.  I couldn't help but think of all that is going on in our nation.  I'm going to try to keep this a-political.  I don't post political things on social media because I don't want the arguments - although I have been guilty of reading some arguments on other's posts! 😉 That can be entertaining!  Those of you who know me know where I stand and whom I will be voting for - but not everyone I know will be voting the same way and that's the point!

In 1 Corinthians 13 we are called to be patient and kind.  We aren't to be envious, boastful, or proud.  We shouldn't dishonor others, be self-seeking, easily angered or keep a record of wrongs.  We should not delight in evil but instead rejoice in the truth.  We should always protect, always trust, always hope always persevere. 

When I say we, I mean Christians.  We can't hold others to this standard if they don't follow Christ.  But if you call yourself a Christian in any way, shape or form, then this applies to YOU!  And it applies in your attitude towards others who don't hold the same political beliefs as you - OUCH! 😟  Even if you think they've lost there ever-loving mind, you still need to love them and SHOW IT.  See the above paragraph if you don't know how to do that.

All this is leading up to my epiphany - you know, because God Works in Mysterious Ways...

1 Corinthians 13:13 says "And now these three remain: faith, hope and love.  But the greatest of these is love."

I read this verse and it hit me - the greatest is LOVE!  No matter where you stand politically, LOVE is more important.  As Christians, we are to have faith that God will put the right people in office and we are to have hope that no matter what happens we will be OK.  But what is more important than both of those things is LOVE - love for other believers - love for our neighbors - love for those who don't think or vote like you (YIKES!) - even love for our leaders and politicians (UGH!).

It may not be pretty, it may not be easy, but it is definitely the most important thing - LOVE.




Comments

  1. Very Good Mrs. Forston... As Christians sometimes we can act like people are only Christians if they see things exactly like us. If they go the the same church as us and are the same denomination as us. If they vote the same party lines as we vote. But in the end, God created ALL of us and He loves us no matter what political party we are, what denomination we are, what color we are or whatever ways we might be different. AND I believe as you have stated that WE ARE TO LOVE EACH OTHER IN THE SAME WAY... Good thought....

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My First Blog

I'm a little excited about trying my hand at blogging!  I'm currently enrolled in a freebie online class for Purdue Alumni through Purdue Global entitled "Living in a Social Media World".  I thought it could be helpful to my job at Abundant Life Community Church .  I'm on the second week and my current assignment is to write a blog. The topic of this blog is supposed to reflect what I listened to in some podcasts from my class discussion assignments .  I also made a podcast which I will NOT share.  (That is NOT my thing!)  My podcast was on a miraculous healing I experienced last year.  One podcast I listened to was on miracles the speaker saw in one year of his life.  Another was about how the speaker met her husband in an unusual way. All of these got me thinking,  "the Lord sure does move in mysterious ways..."  "God Works in Mysterious Ways" was supposed to be the title of my blog post, not the whole kit and caboodle .  But, I don't kno

Right Place Right Time

I am a klutz!  Just ask my parents, my husband, my children, etc.  We all know it.  My husband thinks I shouldn't do anything even remotely dangerous because I'll undoubtedly get hurt.  I wouldn't go that far, but at any given time I probably have a cut, scrape, or bruise from being clumsy.  This has been going on since I was little.  In fact, the year I turned four was quite a year for me.  My mother was even asked why I was trying to kill myself...  But I know -  God Works in Mysterious Ways  - and He is always looking out for me! In the summer that year, my family was at a party at a home of some friends that had a pool.  My parents, my brother and I were not swimming.  We didn't bring suits.  But I wanted to get in, I wanted to be around the other people in the pool.  So, I walked around the outside of this in-ground pool.  I remember having this weight thing on the end of a rope I was dunking in and out of the water.  And me, being the klutz that I am, fell in the

Invited for a Reason

This will be my first post that isn't part of my social media class.  It's all me! 😁 Enjoy... Over the weekend, my husband and I attended a wedding.  The bride is the daughter of some dear friends of ours.  In fact, 25 years ago this past month, Chad was the best man at their wedding and Steve was the best man at ours! The wedding was beautiful!  It was so much fun watching the bride and groom and all their friends have such a good time.  But during the ceremony and speeches, people kept saying how those in attendance played an important part in the bride and grooms lives and I would almost cringe.  I haven't seen the bride in person since she was a little girl and we'd never met the groom.  How could we have played an important part in their lives??  What were we even doing at the wedding?  Why were we invited? Over the past few days I've thought about this, and of course I remembered "God Works in Mysterious Ways" ... As I said, Chad and I have been fri