Skip to main content

Whole lotta shakin goin on!


This past Wednesday night our church had a "praise & prayer" night.  This was our first Wednesday night gathering since the pandemic began.  As I was sitting in the sanctuary, I was reflecting on how different things are at church now, how different things in the world are, and how it changes our perspective.  Once again I was noticing how God Works in Mysterious Ways...

In my previous posts I've reflected on how God has moved in little ways that we might not notice if we don't look for it.  But that's not the only way God works!  Sometimes God needs to get our attention.  Sometimes He has to shake things up...

This month, my pastor's Sunday messages have been entitled "Shaken not Stirred".  No, he's not talking about 007 or martinis!  It's based on Hebrews 12:26-29. Here is verse 26-

When God spoke from Mount Sinai his voice shook the earth, but now he makes another promise: “Once again I will shake not only the earth but the heavens also.”

This year, there has been a "whole lotta shakin goin on"!!  But when God shakes things up, I think He does it for 2 reasons.

First of all, when things get "all shook up" and get a little crazy, we appreciate the normal that much more!  Last summer my son got married. That in itself causes a lot of craziness, but being sick and in the hospital really shook my world. ( I'll share more details about that next month...)  I was in the hospital the week of my son's wedding and was released the day before the rehearsal.  That made me enjoy the wedding all the more!  Here is a picture of Tyler and I dancing at the wedding...



Being at the wedding and being able to dance was great, BUT what I really appreciated was that following Monday, when things got back to normal!  Bring on the boring and hum-drum!! The everyday, day-in-day-out, normal was so much sweeter!!

The second reason I think God shakes things up, is to help us to change.  That's what I think God is doing in 2020.  I could go on some long political rant about all that is going on in the world, but I'm trying to keep this positive! So let me just share a few changes I've seen because of the shaking going on.

For one thing, this blog!  I'd never thought about writing a blog before, never thought I'd enjoy it, sure never thought anyone else would enjoy it!! 😏  But during the pandemic I've gotten tons of email from the Purdue Alumni Association trying to help out those that may be affected.  That's how I learned about the free online social media course.  Through that course I created this blog, and I am really enjoying it!!

Since then, I've started another blog for my church.  That's another change that's occurred.  We used to print a weekly bulletin/worship-guide/program - whatever you want to call it - paper thingy that most people didn't even read!  Once we re-opened the church, we didn't want to hand out anything so we did away with the bulletin.  My ALCC blog is a way to share information with the church body digitally. Before the pandemic people wouldn't know what to do without a bulletin! 😱 But after God shakes things up, it's a great idea (or at least it's more palatable) to move to a different way of doing things.  

Now, don't get me wrong, there are those in the world pushing for change we should not accept.  But, remember, God Works in Mysterious Ways, and He will use all this "shakin goin on" to bring about the changes that are for our benefit and His glory!  Just look for it... 😉




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My First Blog

I'm a little excited about trying my hand at blogging!  I'm currently enrolled in a freebie online class for Purdue Alumni through Purdue Global entitled "Living in a Social Media World".  I thought it could be helpful to my job at Abundant Life Community Church .  I'm on the second week and my current assignment is to write a blog. The topic of this blog is supposed to reflect what I listened to in some podcasts from my class discussion assignments .  I also made a podcast which I will NOT share.  (That is NOT my thing!)  My podcast was on a miraculous healing I experienced last year.  One podcast I listened to was on miracles the speaker saw in one year of his life.  Another was about how the speaker met her husband in an unusual way. All of these got me thinking,  "the Lord sure does move in mysterious ways..."  "God Works in Mysterious Ways" was supposed to be the title of my blog post, not the whole kit and caboodle .  But, I don't kno

Right Place Right Time

I am a klutz!  Just ask my parents, my husband, my children, etc.  We all know it.  My husband thinks I shouldn't do anything even remotely dangerous because I'll undoubtedly get hurt.  I wouldn't go that far, but at any given time I probably have a cut, scrape, or bruise from being clumsy.  This has been going on since I was little.  In fact, the year I turned four was quite a year for me.  My mother was even asked why I was trying to kill myself...  But I know -  God Works in Mysterious Ways  - and He is always looking out for me! In the summer that year, my family was at a party at a home of some friends that had a pool.  My parents, my brother and I were not swimming.  We didn't bring suits.  But I wanted to get in, I wanted to be around the other people in the pool.  So, I walked around the outside of this in-ground pool.  I remember having this weight thing on the end of a rope I was dunking in and out of the water.  And me, being the klutz that I am, fell in the

Invited for a Reason

This will be my first post that isn't part of my social media class.  It's all me! 😁 Enjoy... Over the weekend, my husband and I attended a wedding.  The bride is the daughter of some dear friends of ours.  In fact, 25 years ago this past month, Chad was the best man at their wedding and Steve was the best man at ours! The wedding was beautiful!  It was so much fun watching the bride and groom and all their friends have such a good time.  But during the ceremony and speeches, people kept saying how those in attendance played an important part in the bride and grooms lives and I would almost cringe.  I haven't seen the bride in person since she was a little girl and we'd never met the groom.  How could we have played an important part in their lives??  What were we even doing at the wedding?  Why were we invited? Over the past few days I've thought about this, and of course I remembered "God Works in Mysterious Ways" ... As I said, Chad and I have been fri