Skip to main content

Fore!

Hello all!  Thanks for reading my blog.  It's been getting a bit tedious trying to come up with something to write.  I know God is always moving but we don't always see it as it happens.  Sometime we don't realize what all He has done until years later.  Even then, God Works in Mysterious Ways, so you might not realize it unless something triggers a memory...

We recently added on to our home of 20 years.  We've been "living" in the new addition for several months now, but it's still a process getting settled into the new spaces.  This past weekend we sorted through stuff from our den as we moved book cases up to the new landing area in the addition.  Among the items begin dusted off and re-located was this bear:




My kids and I (along with a helper I will mention in a bit) made this bear at Build A Bear Workshop for my husband for Christmas over 10 years ago.  In the paw of this golfer is a thing you squeeze to play a recorded sound.  The sound in our bear is my kids yelling "fore!"  Until we moved this bear and I played it for him, Chad forgot (or maybe didn't even know) that the recording was there.  This is a great time capsule of our kids voices back when they were little.  But it is an even better reminder of a funny story of how the recording came to be...

Back in the days when the kids were in elementary school, I was a teacher at a Christian school housed in our church.  Chad and I were also leaders in our church youth group.  One of my students and youth group members was a boy we'd known since he was little.  David was now a teenager and had been getting into some trouble.  He was living with his grandparents at the time and they didn't trust him to stay home alone when they went out of town. So, he stayed with us.  I don't think he liked it much at first, but he eventually became like one of the family.  In fact, he stayed with us several times and sometimes just came over to hang out.

In Ephesians 1:5 it says:
"God decided in advance to adopt us into his own family by bringing us to himself through Jesus Christ. This is what he wanted to do, and it gave him great pleasure."

Just like God adopted us into His family, we "adopted" David into ours - and it also gave us "great pleasure" - and lots of great memories of fun times!

This instance David was staying with us in December, so he got to go with the kids and me to do some Christmas shopping.  He went with us to Build a Bear when we made this bear for Chad.  The mall was packed and the store was busy.  I wanted to record the kids yelling "fore" for our golfer bear but didn't want all the background noise in it.  One of the employees suggested going into a "back hallway" to do our recording.  We went to the back of the store but there was a bit of debate between the 5 of us as to where they were suggesting we do the recording.  David thought they meant the "back" back hallway, through the door marked "Emergency Exit Only"...  They did NOT, because when he opened the door, he set off the alarm!!😲😲😱😱

After some freaking out, some help from a worker, and quite a bit of laughing we got the alarm shut off, our recording done, and our bear made.  It was pretty embarrassing at the time, but it's pretty funny now.

The whole experience for David must have been similar - embarrassing to be treated like a kid and staying with "babysitters" but turned into some good memories - I hope! Chad and I got to practice being parents of a teenager and David got to experience being part of a big family with siblings.  All in all, I know God wanted all of us to have this experience and I'm so thankful for little reminders of those fun days!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My First Blog

I'm a little excited about trying my hand at blogging!  I'm currently enrolled in a freebie online class for Purdue Alumni through Purdue Global entitled "Living in a Social Media World".  I thought it could be helpful to my job at Abundant Life Community Church .  I'm on the second week and my current assignment is to write a blog. The topic of this blog is supposed to reflect what I listened to in some podcasts from my class discussion assignments .  I also made a podcast which I will NOT share.  (That is NOT my thing!)  My podcast was on a miraculous healing I experienced last year.  One podcast I listened to was on miracles the speaker saw in one year of his life.  Another was about how the speaker met her husband in an unusual way. All of these got me thinking,  "the Lord sure does move in mysterious ways..."  "God Works in Mysterious Ways" was supposed to be the title of my blog post, not the whole kit and caboodle .  But, I don't kno

Right Place Right Time

I am a klutz!  Just ask my parents, my husband, my children, etc.  We all know it.  My husband thinks I shouldn't do anything even remotely dangerous because I'll undoubtedly get hurt.  I wouldn't go that far, but at any given time I probably have a cut, scrape, or bruise from being clumsy.  This has been going on since I was little.  In fact, the year I turned four was quite a year for me.  My mother was even asked why I was trying to kill myself...  But I know -  God Works in Mysterious Ways  - and He is always looking out for me! In the summer that year, my family was at a party at a home of some friends that had a pool.  My parents, my brother and I were not swimming.  We didn't bring suits.  But I wanted to get in, I wanted to be around the other people in the pool.  So, I walked around the outside of this in-ground pool.  I remember having this weight thing on the end of a rope I was dunking in and out of the water.  And me, being the klutz that I am, fell in the

Invited for a Reason

This will be my first post that isn't part of my social media class.  It's all me! 😁 Enjoy... Over the weekend, my husband and I attended a wedding.  The bride is the daughter of some dear friends of ours.  In fact, 25 years ago this past month, Chad was the best man at their wedding and Steve was the best man at ours! The wedding was beautiful!  It was so much fun watching the bride and groom and all their friends have such a good time.  But during the ceremony and speeches, people kept saying how those in attendance played an important part in the bride and grooms lives and I would almost cringe.  I haven't seen the bride in person since she was a little girl and we'd never met the groom.  How could we have played an important part in their lives??  What were we even doing at the wedding?  Why were we invited? Over the past few days I've thought about this, and of course I remembered "God Works in Mysterious Ways" ... As I said, Chad and I have been fri