Skip to main content

Isn't it Amazing?

Hello all!  Hope you are enjoying fall - I sure am💗😍😊

Over the weekend I got to go do something I always "think" about doing in the fall, but never seem to get around to it - I went "tromping in the woods".  Most of the family (the baby is away at Purdue) went to Lincoln State Park and the Lincoln Boyhood National Memorial.

We hiked through the woods, around the lake, climbed up the fire tower, and visited various landmarks of President Lincoln's childhood.  It was great!  Then we went to Denny's and I had pumpkin pecan pancakes - what a day!!



You can't be in nature and not marvel at God's creation, but what really got me thinking - God Works in Mysterious Ways - was thinking about the past.

We walked around the Lincoln's original cabin site, the farm, and down to the spring where they drew their water.  Walking ancient paths you can't help but put yourself into their shoes.  What would it have been like to be them?  How would our family have lived if we were living in those times?  What would daily life be like?

As we saw where the Lincolns had to walk to draw their daily water I commented to our daughter, "that would have been your job" and her older brother laughed - he didn't think she'd have been able to do that.

That got me thinking, isn't it amazing how God works!  I told my husband that if we had lived in the 1800's our daughter, Bailey, probably wouldn't have been alive to carry the water...

When I as pregnant with our oldest child, Tyler, I was put on bedrest because of my elevated blood pressure and puffiness (I looked like the Pillsbury Dough Boy!!).  I never developed full blown preeclampsia, but would I have survived the delivery back in those days?  Only God knows that!

And even if I did survive, Bailey (my 2nd born) most likely wouldn't have survived her first week.  She was very little when she was born and did not have the fat reserves needed to keep her going - she used more energy trying to breastfeed than she was getting!  Her first night she stopped breathing.  Thank God she was in the nursery where they noticed and got her breathing again!  But in the 1800's that wouldn't have happened.  She was also hospitalized for jaundice and even with supplemental feedings she didn't gain any weight for a few weeks.  So there's no way she would have been the one carrying the water for us if we had lived in the 1800's.

But here in the 2000's she's alive and healthy!  A college graduate still looking for a job whose household chores consist of emptying the dishwasher and walking down the lane to get the mail! 😂 But that's just for now, she has great things in her future.

This makes me think of one of my favorite verses, Jeremiah 29:11 "For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

Bailey might be an Esther - born "for a time such as this" -  because God has a plan for her!  That's why we're here in this time period where modern medicine could keep us both alive so we can fulfill what God has planned for us! 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My First Blog

I'm a little excited about trying my hand at blogging!  I'm currently enrolled in a freebie online class for Purdue Alumni through Purdue Global entitled "Living in a Social Media World".  I thought it could be helpful to my job at Abundant Life Community Church .  I'm on the second week and my current assignment is to write a blog. The topic of this blog is supposed to reflect what I listened to in some podcasts from my class discussion assignments .  I also made a podcast which I will NOT share.  (That is NOT my thing!)  My podcast was on a miraculous healing I experienced last year.  One podcast I listened to was on miracles the speaker saw in one year of his life.  Another was about how the speaker met her husband in an unusual way. All of these got me thinking,  "the Lord sure does move in mysterious ways..."  "God Works in Mysterious Ways" was supposed to be the title of my blog post, not the whole kit and caboodle .  But, I don't kno

Right Place Right Time

I am a klutz!  Just ask my parents, my husband, my children, etc.  We all know it.  My husband thinks I shouldn't do anything even remotely dangerous because I'll undoubtedly get hurt.  I wouldn't go that far, but at any given time I probably have a cut, scrape, or bruise from being clumsy.  This has been going on since I was little.  In fact, the year I turned four was quite a year for me.  My mother was even asked why I was trying to kill myself...  But I know -  God Works in Mysterious Ways  - and He is always looking out for me! In the summer that year, my family was at a party at a home of some friends that had a pool.  My parents, my brother and I were not swimming.  We didn't bring suits.  But I wanted to get in, I wanted to be around the other people in the pool.  So, I walked around the outside of this in-ground pool.  I remember having this weight thing on the end of a rope I was dunking in and out of the water.  And me, being the klutz that I am, fell in the

Invited for a Reason

This will be my first post that isn't part of my social media class.  It's all me! 😁 Enjoy... Over the weekend, my husband and I attended a wedding.  The bride is the daughter of some dear friends of ours.  In fact, 25 years ago this past month, Chad was the best man at their wedding and Steve was the best man at ours! The wedding was beautiful!  It was so much fun watching the bride and groom and all their friends have such a good time.  But during the ceremony and speeches, people kept saying how those in attendance played an important part in the bride and grooms lives and I would almost cringe.  I haven't seen the bride in person since she was a little girl and we'd never met the groom.  How could we have played an important part in their lives??  What were we even doing at the wedding?  Why were we invited? Over the past few days I've thought about this, and of course I remembered "God Works in Mysterious Ways" ... As I said, Chad and I have been fri